One of the things I have been focusing on in 2017 is better communicating the intent of our training and how to optimize the training, in order to, maximize your results. So, when I design the program and explain the training, I am doing so from the perspective of someone interested in Peak performance. I realize everyone has different goals and the training can be utilized to different degrees, but I am not watering down the intent of the training. One of my most inspiring groups to coach is my Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9am class whose ages typically range from 65-80 years old. I had this same conversation with them earlier this week. They push the prowler, pull the sled, and do squats to “Sally” just like everyone else while giving a great effort.

When I think of optimizing training, a few ideas come to mind. The first comes from Abraham Maslow’s Pyramid of Needs. Maslow originally stated that only 1% of the population became Self -Actualizers. My interpretation of a Self-Actualizer is someone who reaches their true potential. Later in his life, Maslow widened his idea of a Self-Actualizer to include anyone who was good-hearted and energetic but not extremely creative. In his Theory Z, he referred to a certain percentage of the self- actualizers as Transcenders. Transcenders were those that deliberately chose to live high performing lives. This theory points to the fact that, from a percentage basis, that this number is very low. If you look at it from that perspective, it would seem that this level is not attainable for everyone.

Another perspective of optimizing yourself comes from an idea proposed by Thom Shea in one of his recent podcasts. He said that in his experience, about 15% of the people are highly successful and the other 85% are often just floundering and not reaching their potential. What is different about what Thom says versus Maslow is that everyone has the ability to be in that 15%. He also says that those who are in that 15% have to keep working on themselves in order to stay there. I agree with Thom on each of these ideas which are far more empowering.

If you study peak performance, you will find that there are a few common things that come up over and over again. I often talk about developing Mind, Body, Spirit.These areas can be broken down more to include:

  1. Mental Work
  2. Physical (movement and exercise)
  3. Eating/Nutrition
  4. Sleeping
  5. Spiritual

Over the next few weeks, we will be taking a deeper look into each of these 5 areas and learn how they can help you optimize your life.